The bathroom uses a lot of the indoor water supply. Check the bathrooms for the following:
Check the toilet
: Toilets are a frequent cause of higher than expected water bills in Cheyenne. Toilet leaks can be silent too. Use this simple toilet dye test to see if your toilet is leaking.
- Drip 10-15 drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. DO NOT FLUSH.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- If colored water appears in the toilet bowl, you have a leak.
- Generally the leak is in or around the plunger ball or flapper valve at the bottom of the tank.
Remember to flush the colored water so that it doesn't stain the toilet.
Toilet Flapper Replacement Video
If the toilet has a Fluidmaster valve instead of a float arm, refer to the Fluidmaster website
For toilets with no tanks a flushometer are used in some commercial buildings. They are used on toilets or urinals. Most bands of the innards of the flushometer are similar. If you are part of the maintenance teams, the most common issues are that the toilet run constantly or leak around the vacuum breaker. Either cleaning or replacing the diaphragm. If you end up replacing the diaphragm, it’s a good idea to replace the vacuum breaker as well.
The most important that toilet diaphragm and a urinal diaphragm allow different water flows. You will need to use the proper diaphragm for replacement. If you don’t, you might be wasting more water and paying even more on your water bill.
Learn more about commercial toilets and water saving tips at the WaterSense Website.
Check the sink: Even small leaks can waste a significant amount of water over time. 10 drops per minutes will waste around 300 gallons in a year.
- If your faucet is a house original, the faucet aerator might need to change out with a more efficient
- Leaky faucets can often be repaired by replacing a washer or gasket.
Replace Your Faucet Aerator Video
How to Repair Leaking Faucet
Check the bathtub and shower:
- Make sure the faucets in the tub are working correctly.
- When you turn on the shower, the water flow from the tub faucet should stop.
- If your showerhead is a house original, it might need to be changed out with a more efficient showehead.
How to replace your three Handle Shower Valve Video
How to Replace Your Shower head Video