Service water and sewer pipelines

Published on September 10, 2020


CHEYENNE, WY -- Often times property owners are unaware that they also own the buried pipes, called private service lines or laterals, that bring water into their home and/or business as well as the pipes that carry wastewater away. If a private service line clogs, leaks, or breaks, it is the property owner’s responsibility to contact a plumbing contractor and pay for any repairs from the building to the City’s water/sewer mains. The City of Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities (Board) is responsible for maintaining the City’s water and wastewater system, including the larger “main” pipelines.  If you suspect a water or sewer service pipeline problem, please call the Board’s water department at 307-637-6471.

Residents should always call 811 to locate underground lines owned by utility providers including, but not limited to, gas, electric, phone, etc. However, private water and wastewater service lines will not be located as part of this process. A licensed plumbing contractor should be contacted for any work on private service lines.