Want to be a water smart guru? Conduct an indoor self-audit to detect and chase down leaks. Use this simple checklist(PDF, 576KB) or watch the short video as a guide in locating leaks inside your home.
Large leaks or a combination of small leaks can often be detected with the home’s water meter. Cheyenne’s water meters have leak indicators which are either a red propeller or triangle located on the meter’s face (see diagram below). To detect a leak, turn off all water uses in the home and check the water meter. If the red triangle or propeller is spinning, this indicates a water leak. The meter test only identifies larger leaks, and further investigation is needed to detect and locate all leaks.
The bathroom uses more than 50% of your indoor water supply. Check your bathroom for the following in 30 minutes.
Check the toilet
: Toilets are a frequent cause of higher than expected water bills in Cheyenne. Toilet leaks can be silent too. Use this simple toilet dye test to see if your toilet is leaking.
- Drip 10-15 drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. DO NOT FLUSH.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- If colored water appears in the toilet bowl, you have a leak.
- Generally the leak is in or around the plunger ball or flapper valve at the bottom of the tank.
Remember to flush the colored water so that it doesn't stain the toilet.
Toilet Flapper Replacement Video
Check the sink: Even small leaks can waste a significant amount of water over time. 10 drops per minutes will waste around 300 gallons in a year.
- If your faucet is a house original, the faucet aerator might need to change out with a more efficient
- Leaky faucets can often be repaired by replacing a washer or gasket.
Replace Your Faucet Aerator Video
How to Repair Leaking Faucet
Check the bathtub and shower:
- Make sure the faucets in the tub are working correctly.
- When you turn on the shower, the water flow from the tub faucet should stop.
- If your showerhead is a house original, it might need to be changed out with a more efficient showehead.
How to replace your three Handle Shower Valve Video
How to Replace Your Shower head Video
Check all water sources in the laundry area:
- Supply lines to the washing machine
- Use a piece of cardboard and place it under the washing machine while you are running a load of laundry. Check the cardboard for wet spots to see if you have any leaks.
- For sinks in the laundry room, follow the instructions for bathrooms.