Give plants just what they need. Save drinking water for people!
Follow the Watering Schedule Year-Round
- From December 1st through March 31st, no watering lawns
- From April 1st through November 30th, no watering lawns more than three days per week
- No outdoor watering between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
A water shortage will result in additional restrictions.
If you qualify for a Watering Schedule Waiver, it is effective for one year and not applicable during a water shortage.
If you are installing a new lawn, apply for a New Lawn Permit before you get started.
Refer to the Board of Public Utilities' Plan for Wise Water Use(PDF, 1MB) for more information.
Always Avoid Water Waste
Prohibited activities, resulting in a warning or fine, include:
- Watering during rain(PDF, 1MB) or high wind(PDF, 1MB)
- Allowing water to pool on the ground or flow down a gutter
- Failing to repair leaks
- Using water to clean sidewalks, driveways, and other hard surfaces, unless for health and safety
- Washing vehicles with a hose that is not equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle
- Using drinking water resources for dust control or construction purposes
If you see water waste, Report a Concern or call 307-637-6460.
TREES – Plant for the future!
Wind, hail, heat, and heavy spring snowstorms are tough on trees. While we can’t control the weather, we can select the right species, plant them properly, and water them year-round!
Cheyenne Urban Forestry Resources:
To make sure trees get the water they need, slowly water 10 gallons per inch of tree trunk diameter to the dripline and follow the seasonal watering frequency below.
SPRING (March – April – May):
- Established - Once or twice a month
- New - Once a week
SUMMER (June – July – August):
- Established - Once a week
- New - Twice a week
FALL (September – October – November):
- Established - 2 to 4 times per month
- New - Once a week
WINTER (December – January – February):
- Established & New - Once a month
LOW WATER LANDSCAPES – Alternatives to water-thirsty lawns!
SEASONAL TIPS – Make sure your irrigation system is tip top!