New Lawn Permit


Installing a New Lawn?

A New Lawn Permit (Permit) from the Board of Public Utilities is required when you are establishing a new lawn, either by seed or sod. A Permit temporarily allows more watering than the Watering Schedule. Note, no watering between 10 am and 6 pm; having a Permit does not exempt you from this water conservation measure.

Before you get started, review the Terms & Conditions (below) that includes water conservation requirements and guidance for ensuring the best outcome of your lawn, frequently asked questions (below), and resources for low water landscapes. If you have other questions, contact the Board of Public Utilities at (307) 637-6460. For additional information about the Board of Public Utilities' Water Conservation program, refer to the Plan for Wise Water Use(PDF, 1MB).

Complete an application for a New Lawn Permit, either online or in-person. The Board of Public Utilities will review your information and ensure that the basic requirements are met before issuing a Permit to you. The Permit must be displayed in a window that is visible from the street.

Online (Application Located Below)

Complete the online application. If approved, the Board of Public Utilities will email your Permit to you for you to print. If you do not have access to a printer, a hardcopy can be provided to you upon your request. Visit us at 2416 Snyder Ave. during normal business hours from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday (excluding holidays).


Visit us at 2416 Snyder Ave. during normal business hours from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday (excluding holidays). Ask Customer Service for assistance with an application for a New Lawn Permit. If approved, they will print your Permit for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Why is a New Lawn Permit needed?

    BOPU's Watering Schedule allows customers to water their lawn up to three days per week between April 1st and November 30th. Watering a lawn more than three days per week or between December 1st and March 31st may result in a warning or fine.

    If you are establishing a new lawn, either seed or sod, a permit will allow you to water more frequently for a specified duration. Be sure to note the permit expiration date, comply with the Terms and Conditions of the permit application, and follow the suggested watering schedule that is included with your permit to help ensure the best outcome for your new lawn.

  • Who needs to apply for a New Lawn Permit?

    Any BOPU customer, who is installing a new lawn, will need a permit to water more than the Watering Schedule allows. You can apply for a permit online or in-person at the BOPU office building during normal business hours.

    Sometimes, homeowners grant landscapers permission to apply for permits on their behalf. In some cases, a builder, who has had BOPU install a meter and establish a customer account, will apply for a new lawn permit. The BOPU customer is responsible for complying with the Terms and Conditions of the permit application.

  • Does a New Lawn Permit allow watering between 10 am and 6 pm?

    No. Watering lawns between 10 am and 6 pm is always prohibited and may result in a warning or fine. Note, the BOPU may implement stricter water conservation measures based on water shortage, subject to Board approval.

  • When is a New Lawn Permit needed?

    A New Lawn Permit is needed if more water is needed than the Watering Schedule allows to establish seed or sod. Be sure to apply for a permit prior to installing your new lawn. Note, permits will not be available during water shortage.

  • What is the duration of a New Lawn Permit?

    A new lawn permit allows watering sod daily for 3 weeks and seed for 4 weeks.

  • There is water flowing down the gutter while my sprinklers are running and/or long after they have stopped. What can I do to be water smart?

    Runoff occurs for a variety of reasons; the most common are listed below.

    • Overwatering
    • Overspray
    • Low water infiltration rates due to clay and/or compacted soils
    • Sloped yards readily shed water
    • Saturated ground from recent rain/snowmelt
    • Irrigation system leak(s)

    There are myriad resources that can be found with simple Internet searches, including EPA’s WaterSense Sprinkler Spruce-Up and Find It Flag It Fix It, A Checklist for Your Landscape. Alternatively, you may consult with staff at the University of Wyoming Extension or seek other professional help to assist you with the suggestions below.

    • Verify your sprinkler controller is working properly
    • Reduce watering duration (time) and/or frequency (days)
    • Core aerate (twice per year is recommended) to control thatch accumulation and improve the root zone by reducing soil compaction
    • Try a cycle and soak approach- Divide your current watering time by three and include a thirty-minute (minimum) soak between watering cycles. Using cycle and soak, a fifteen-minute continuous watering approach (for example) becomes: water for five minutes, soak for thirty minutes, water for five minutes, soak for thirty minutes, water for five minutes.
    • Avoid watering during or immediately after a significant rain event or snowmelt
    • Find and fix leaks- This process may involve reading your water meter, inspecting your sprinklers while they are running, making any necessary adjustments/repairs, or you may need to call a plumber or landscaper.
  • Help! How do I set my sprinkler controller?

    Your sprinkler controller manual is a valuable resource. If you don’t have it on hand, use your sprinkler controller brand and model number to search the Internet for the correct manual.

  • What landscaping options are best suited for Cheyenne’s semi-arid climate?

    Alternatives to water-thirsty turfgrass are endless. Visit the Watering Schedule page for more information.

Terms & Conditions

  • Customer Name:  The Customer is responsible for compliance with these Terms and Conditions.
  • Fee: There is no fee for a Permit.
  • Metered Usage: Occupancy (e.g., the presence of landscaping) requires metered water usage. The City of Cheyenne (City) Code of Ordinances Chapter 13, Section 13.080.040 requires water to pass through a meter supplied or approved by the BOPU. Per the BOPU’s Service Tap Applications, “Use of water for irrigation and/or non-construction purposes prior to meter installation will be subject to a fine.” The City Code of Ordinances Chapter 13, Section 13.08.030 sets forth the penalty for taking water without making application.
  • Water Waste: Customers shall prevent water waste per City Code of Ordinances Chapter 13, Section 13.08.040 and BOPU’s Plan for Wise Water Use (Plan) that was adopted under 2004 Resolutions. A Permit does not exempt Customers from compliance with requirements of the Plan and City Code of Ordinances.
  • Water Rates: Customers shall pay applicable rates for water usage under the Permit.
  • Applicability: A Permit will be issued only for establishment of a new lawn at the Permit Street Address, indicated in the application. Customers shall not water established lawn under a Permit unless it is in the same irrigation zone as the new lawn. Permits are not transferrable to other addresses.
  • Duration: Permits are effective for a maximum of 21 consecutive days for sod or 28 consecutive days for seed. Upon Permit expiration, the Customer shall adhere to the current Watering Schedule.
  • Times: Watering is prohibited between 10 am and 6 pm. A Permit does not exempt a Customer from compliance with these watering times.
  • Availability: Permits are not available and will automatically expire when BOPU declares a water shortage.
  • Soil Amendment Requirement: Organic soil amendment (i.e., compost, aged and composted manure, sphagnum peat moss, other approved material) is required for a Permit. A receipt showing the amount purchased must be submitted with the Permit application. Approximately four cubic yards for every 1,000 square feet of sod or seed is recommended. Wherever possible, incorporate amendment into the soil to a depth of approximately six inches by tilling, disking, or other suitable method.
  • Overseeding: Aeration and hard raking or power raking are required site preparation for overseeding.
  • Signature:  In most cases, the Customer will sign this application. A Signature that differs from the Customer Name is indication that the Customer at the Permit Street Address authorized this application on their behalf.
  • Site Inspection: BOPU may conduct a site inspection at the Permit Street Address to evaluate compliance with these Terms and Conditions. If BOPU is denied access to conduct a site inspection, the Permit may be denied/terminated at BOU’s sole discretion.
  • Notice of Permit: During the term of the Permit, the Customer shall display the Permit in a window at the Permit Street Address that is visible from a public street.

Noncompliance with these Terms and Conditions or any applicable provision of the Plan or City Code of Ordinances will result in the immediate termination of a Permit.

Click here to view form.